Release Notes MC31 Linux
1. Changed: Internal changes in JRVR how the settings are handled.
2. NEW: Advanced option for JRVR to enable changing any libplacebo settings for testing purposes.
3. Fixed: Buttons could lag when switching states on mouse over. Now they respond to mouse movement, so should change right away.
4. Fixed: Some VST3 effects would not work because they failed on a call to setBusArrangements. Now the current arrangement is checked first and that is only called if it changes.
5. NEW: Updated libplacebo in JRVR to v6.338.0. Improves dynamic tone mapping, scaling quality, and many other things.
6. NEW: Added the JincSharp upscaler to JRVR, a sharper version of Jinc with 3 or 4 taps.
7. NEW: Added the Hermite downscaler to JRVR, a light-weight scaler with a decent quality.
8. Changed: JRVR will now show the measured peak and average brightness of HDR video on the OSD.
1. Fixed: Corrected a French translation issue (thanks Charles Pastor).
2. Fixed: Memory leak on heic/heif image decoding and thumbnailing.
1. Fixed: Crashing on import caused by some corrupt files exposed by updates to the exif code.
2. Fixed: Some thread sanitizer issues and locking of the PlayerCore for zone counts.
3. Fixed: Frame Stepping over multiple frames at once with JRVR did only step one frame.
4. NEW: (Panel) Added "Play album" option to file playback menu.
5. Fixed: MCWS function Television/GetGuidePrograms output invalid xml doc because Field names were used for xml element name. Now the xml element for each field will be <Tag Name="Field Name">field value</Tag>, instead of <Field Name>field value</Field Name>.
1. Fixed: Lip Sync MCC commands and per-file Lip Sync overrides did not work in video playback.
2. Changed: Updated the Kodi NFO support to differentiate between <ratings> and <userratings> properly.
3. Fixed: When recording TV shows in TS format, the initial bookmarks might be wrong, especially when recording was started later than the actual program start time.
4. Fixed (possibly): Playing a currently recording TV show in transport stream time-shifting, the playback skipped forward to live time instead of starting from the beginning.
5. Fixed: When Playing with Play Doctor Search DJ was not saving the settings used.
6. Changed: Updated Czech translation (thanks Jan Boháč).
7. Changed: Search DJ settings are saved between runs so the last used settings are shown.
8. Changed: Added a parameter FormatDateTime to MCWS function GetRecordingScheduleXML to specify whether to format the StartTime returned value.
9. Changed: The DateTime function in linux MC wasn't reporting 24 hour time when requested (it was using am/pm).
10. NEW: Detached display view window title bar was empty, it now has "Media Center 31"
1. Fixed: Submenus (like in trackinfos and audio options) broken by a fix in 31.0.50.
2. Changed: Search DJ settings are saved between runs so the last used settings are shown.
3. Changed: Added a parameter FormatDateTime to MCWS function GetRecordingScheduleXML to specify whether to format the StartTime returned value.
4. NEW: Added an option to close the program on stop to the "More Stop" player menu (MCC 10078 to script).
1. Changed: Made the saved cover art folder saved on a per-library basis as well so it can vary from library to library.
2. Changed: VST3 effects that create the plugin on a class number higher than zero will work.
3. Changed: Search DJ only searches for music files (it could grab images and videos if they matched the artist, etc.).
4. NEW: Added a Search DJ button to Playing Now.
5. Changed: Shuffle defaults to off for Search DJ.
6. Changed: Artist lists with semi-colons are also accepted by Search DJ.
7. Changed: Search DJ clears any other searches that were entered manually in the search box.
8. NEW: Added a "No Variety" menu choice for Play Doctor searches.
9. NEW: Added Tools > Search DJ to play searches and optionally include Cloudplay files.
10. Fixed: Possible JPEG crashes parsing corrupt images.
11. NEW: Added a couple stock smartlists to find low resolution cover art.
12. Fixed: Custom Contrast values where not being displayed properly in the JRVR settings after re-opening the dialog.
13. Changed: Include the Q when listing parametric equalizer equalization filters.
14. Fixed: Improved behavior when pressing Escape while watching a video in Theater View Netflix.
15. NEW: Anti-ringing filter when scaling with JRVR, available for all conventional scalers, as well as RAVU.
16. Fixed: Updated JRVR Geometry Correction to avoid cutting off part of the image when using curvature correction.
17. NEW: Support for loading custom shaders in JRVR (in mpv hook/glsl syntax)
18. Fixed: The "Move Up" and "Move Down" buttons on the customize tag window would not work nicely if you clicked fast. Now all buttons everywhere should no longer check for clicks that are too fast.
19. Fixed: Allow "live" streams to play through JRVR. Fixes shn and some video playback on Mac and linux.
1. Changed: Slovak translation updated (thanks Peter Lukáč).
2. Changed: The JRVR HDR to HDR tone mapping options are only shown if HDR pass-through is enabled.
3. Fixed: Solved a rare crash during import due to thread safety.
4. Changed: Non-editable fields no longer allow the checkbox to allow custom data in the Manage Library Fields dialog.
5. Changed: Added the option "Show only calculated fields" to Manage Library fields.
6. Changed: Playback of live TV in Transport Stream time-shifting mode will start a little delayed to reduce the chance of getting a black screen with audio only.
1. NEW: Manual profile selection/overriding for JRVR, on a per-file basis. Available in the context menu, the playback OSD, and MCC.
2. Changed: Non-editable fields no longer allow the checkbox to allow custom data in the Manage Library Fields dialog.
3. Changed: Added the option "Show only calculated fields" to Manage Library fields.
4. Changed: Playback of live TV in Transport Stream time-shifting mode will start a little delayed to reduce the chance of getting a black screen with audio only.
5. Fixed: Radio Paradise didn't play when reliably when connected to a library server.
6. NEW: (Panel) Added options to the Advanced settings page to show/hide the fixed buttons on the main page, such as Streaming, Cloudplay, etc.
7. Changed: The bookmark is only cleared when pressing stop again if it's done within five seconds of the previous stop.
8. Changed: When tagging EXIF in images, empty field values will cause the corresponding EXIF tags to be removed, instead of setting the tag value offset to NULL.
9. Fixed: When renaming a value in a pane, if something with a semi-colon was entered the selection would reset (instead of selecting the first item in the new list).
10. Changed: Tagging of EXIF datetime tags will use format "yyyy:MM:dd 00:00:00" for dates without time, instead of "yyyy:MM:dd : : " so that Google Photos will recognize it.
1. Changed: When a smartlist finds no matches, a message is shown in the list.
2. Changed: Expressions that output an average use three decimal places instead of one.
3. Changed: Added "Favorites" category for Cloudplay in Theater View.
4. Fixed: MCWS Playback/Info when called early was creating the playback engine because of a recent change.
5. Changed: Updated libplacebo in JRVR, includes a new gamut mapper for HDR to SDR video tone mapping.
6. Changed: Increased the precision of the Spline Contrast slider in the JRVR settings, and increased its size for better control.
7. Fixed: When tagging a jpeg image that did not have EXIF to start with, the EXIF created by MC might contain some duplicate entries (for example some entries in the primary directory might also appear in the EXIF specific directory by error).
1. Fixed: Paired square brackets  in a folder path prevented import of items in that path.
2. Changed: Clicking an empty checkbox field with multiple selections now changes based on the selected item (was using the first item instead).
3. Changed: Removed the drive performance tests from Reporter.
1. Fixed: Local CUSTOMIZATION RESOURCES (like modified FileAssociations.xml) were not being read from the Appdata tree (~/.jriver/Media Center 31/Data/Custom Resources/)
2. Fixed: Seeking with JRVR could result in some playback glitches since 31.0.35.
3. Changed: Updated Czech translation (thanks Jan Boháč).
4. Changed: Put the playing album at the top during a shuffle albums.
5. NEW: Added New, Popular, and Users categories for Cloudplay Playlists in Theater View.
6. Fixed: Closing the media server would only close one DSP Studio. Now all of them are closed.
7. Fixed: MCWS was not fully standards compliant with using + to encode spaces in query strings.
8. NEW: Added memory usage and open file handles to Reporter.
1. Fixed: Logging the playback information could lead to crashes in some cases.
2. NEW: Added "Shuffle Albums" to the shuffle menu to keep albums in track order but shuffle the collection of albums.
3. Changed: DSP Studio will be closed when shutting the program down to server mode.
4. Changed: More tuning of the Swap and Unswap expressions.
5. Changed: When clearing playing now, the menu option would enter the MRU list, but then keep working on the cleared zone. So if you switched zones and picked the MRU, it was a little confusing. Now it switches.
6. Changed: Made the default for logging to reset after 10 MB instead of to keep everything.
7. Changed: Reworked JPEG rotation so it uses the new EXIF code (testing appreciated).
8. NEW: Support reading and saving EXIF Artist and Copyright fields for images. These fields will be saved in corresponding image EXIF tags if they only contain ASCII characters (since the corresponding EXIF tags only support ASCII).
9. Fixed: Thumbnail image embedded in an image might not be loaded because the EXIF tagging had a wrong thumbnail data size.
10. NEW: EXIF tags DateTimeDigitized and DateTime can be read into the library if custom fields "DateTimeDigitized" and "DateTime" have been created.
11. Changed: Slovak translation updated (thanks Peter Lukáč).
12. Fixed: Video playback could offset the playback position slightly after seeking.
1 NEW: Support reading and saving EXIF Artist and Copyright fields for images. These fields will be saved in corresponding image EXIF tags if they only contain ASCII characters (since the corresponding EXIF tags only support ASCII).
2. Fixed: Thumbnail image embedded in an image might not be loaded because the EXIF tagging had a wrong thumbnail data size.
3. Changed: Improved reporting of DSD to PCM conversion in Audio Path.
4. Changed: More work on the Unswap expression.
5. Fixed: Parsing EXIF blocks could enter an endless loop with some images.
6. NEW: The Comment field (if not empty) will be saved in image EXIF tag UserComment. The Name field will be saved to image EXIF tag ImageDescription if the text is ASCII, otherwise we try to save it into UserComment if UserComment is not already filled.
7. Fixed: Erroneous GPS data was loaded for some images taken with cameras not equipped with GPS.
8. Changed: Better support for commas without spaces in the Unswap expression.
9. Fixed: Improved state tracking during JRVR startup for a potential hang fix.
10. NEW: Added an MCC to seek to a percent (MCC_SEEK_PERCENT / 10072).
11. Changed: Unswap(...) handles double (and more) spaces just like Swap(...).
12. Changed: Updated libplacebo in JRVR, with many HDR gamut mapping improvements.
13. NEW: Added an option to JRVR Advanced settings to allow disabling the histogram in peak detection for improved performance on slow systems.
14. Changed: Drives&Devices, Playlists, Podcasts, Services&Plugins, and Streaming pages use skin background and text colors.
15. Changed: Reworked how the default webpages like Playlists, Drives & Devices, etc. are included (please report any issues).
16. Changed: A little work on the Unswap(...) expression to better support the new Swap(...) expression.
17. Fixed: Video playback could crash in some cases.
18. NEW: Added a setting to control the target contrast when tone mapping HDR to SDR in JRVR.
1. Changed: Triple spaces (or more) were still causing Swap problems.
2. Fixed: Media Center could leak memory when parsing an invalid MP4 file.
3. Fixed: Spotlight was not loading properly.
4. Fixed: Double spaces are removed by the Swap(...) function to avoid problems they cause.
5. Fixed: Improved detection heuristics in black bar analysis for more confident results.
6. Changed: Re-position New and Popular playlist links under Cloudplay title text.
7. Changed: Updated Greek translation (thanks Panagiotis).
8. Changed: Updated Simplified Chinese translation (thanks YanJun Sun).
9. Fixed: The new formatted flag on Playback/Info was not working properly.
10. Changed: Slightly better handling of commas in the Swap(...) expression.
11. Changed: Tuned the Swap(...) expression based on feedback on Interact.
12. Changed: Updated libplacebo with a lot of tone mapping and gamut mapping changes for processing HDR videos in JRVR.
13. NEW: Added new options to JRVR for controlling tone mapping. Output -> Contrast Recovery Strength, Output -> Spline Contrast (advanced HDR settings), Advanced -> Use Tricubic interpolation for gamut mapping.
14. Changed: Black Bar Analysis uses a simple heuristic to improve the quality of the detection, and write a report into the [Video Black Bar Analysis Report] field.
15. Fixed: UI skin issues with Clouplay start page when not signed in.
16. NEW: New EXIF library with full read and write support for much improved JPEG tagging.
17. NEW: Added an option to Tree & View > Advanced to hide tab close buttons.
18. NEW: Added a Dehexify expression function.
19. NEW: Use skin colors for Cloudplay.
20. Changed: Added a "Formatted" parameter to MCWS Playback/Info to allow specifying if the return value should be formatted or not.
21. NEW: Added "Chapter" Mode to MCWS Playback/Position to allow skipping to a specified chapter.
22. Changed: Tuned the Swap(...) expression function to work better with big strings.
23. Changed: Cleaned up the escapement in the Base URL of the links dialog so it should not be necessary (but the search expression still needs escapement).
24. NEW: Added mode to the MCWS Playback/Position and allow passing a percentage (works with relative or absolute seeks).
25. Changed: The "Unlock All Tabs" menu option disables when all the tabs are unlocked.
26. Changed: The "Lock All Tabs" menu option disables when all the tabs are already locked.
27. Fixed: Black Bar detection would not reliably select different points in the video file in some cases.
1. NEW: Added the chapter list to Playback/Info.
2. Fixed: TIFF files with JPEG encoding did not work properly.
3. NEW: Contrast Recovery for tone mapping HDR video in JRVR, which enhances the details of tone mapped video.
4. Changed: Various improvements to JRVR tone mapping, improving perceived saturation and other color issues.
5. Changed: Dynamic Tone Mapping (Peak Detection) in JRVR is now on by default, as well as in the Balanced and Quality presets.
6. Changed: When matching, Spotlight will ignore any extra user data in movie or tv show titles enclosed in brackets. For example, "Avatar [3D]" will match just Avatar.
7. Changed: Loading and saving views also restores the tab locked state.
8. NEW: If more than one tab is open, the option to lock and unlock all the tabs is in the header menu.
1. Changed: Implemented a work-around for the issue of bad lip-syncing when playing live TV using Stream Buffer Engine for time-shifting.
2. Fixed: The "Prefer DVD Order" option for TV Show lookup did not work properly with TheMovieDB lookups.
3. Changed: Black bar analysis skips more frames after a seek for decoding to stabilize before checking for black bars.
4. Fixed: Cloudplay would go to home page when there was an edit in another tab.
5. Fixed: Corrected the typo so the field is now "State/Province".
6. Changed: Increased pre-buffering when starting to play live TV using Stream Buffer Engine.
7. Fixed: Seeking with Stream Buffer Time-shifting might go wrong when playback had lasted longer than the time-shifting buffering length.
8. NEW: Added the tags City and State/Province and mapped them to the same IPTC fields for images.
9. Fixed: Seeking a video close to the end would cause playback to stop.
1. Fixed: Loading big fields like the waveform data from APE files could fail.
2. Changed: Made the response from MCWS Playback/Info list the fields as members of the XML instead of all in a block.
3. Fixed: When playing live TV in time-shiting mode, the progress bar sometimes would not update.
4. Changed: Changed the progress bar updating code to reduce the amount of up and down jumps at the beginning of live TV playback.
5. Changed: Slovak translation updated (thanks Peter Lukáč).
6. NEW: The latency of VST3 plug-ins is queried for so lip-sync with videos will be more accurate.
7. NEW: Added the MCWS function UserInterface/OSD to allow turning the OSD on or off.
8. Changed: Added confirmation when right-click closing tabs if the close includes locked tabs.
9. NEW: Added a Fields parameter to the MCWS Playback/Info so you can request any number of additional fields for the playing file.
10. Changed: Updated to Monkey's Audio 10.15 -- fixes stalling on playback of corrupt files.
11. Changed: Updated the new / improved this version link to v31.
12. Changed: Auto-import will now run black bar analysis on all unprocessed files, similar to audio analysis.
13. NEW: Added "DCI-P3-D65 in BT.2020" as a screen gamut configuration to JRVR.
14. NEW: When performing HDR to HDR tone mapping, the gamut can be reduced to DCI-P3 in BT.2020.
15. Fixed: When closing multiple tabs, it was not working nicely when selecting a non-selected tab.
16. Fixed: Remote control playback buttons were not working in Amazon Music.
17. NEW: When playing ATSC, OpenCABLE, or SatIP live TV, the "Audio Programs" context menu will include audio program type description (for example "Audio description for the visually impaired") if such info is found.
18. NEW: Metadata-driven automatic black bar cropping in JRVR, based on the "Video Crop" database field, which can be filled with the Video Analysis tool.
19. NEW: Consolidated all aspect ratio settings in the JRVR Output -> General settings, allowing per-device and profile-based configuration.
20. Changed: The option "Crop Sides of Video to Fill Screen" in the Crop Black Bars context menu has been removed, use "Crop" aspect ratio mode instead.
1. Changed: Split the JRVR Output settings into individual pages for HDR and Calibration for easier navigation.
2. Changed: The JRVR HDR configuration page will show the reported max HDR brightness of the detected displays.
3. Fixed: Submitting cover art was not working since the server changes.
4. Fixed: Track info submit and get was not working since the server changes.
5. Changed: Picking Player > Playing Now > Show Playing Now will activate an inactive Playing Now tab instead of switching the current view.
6. Changed: Tooltips that complete large fields in the Tag window always show regardless of the tooltip option.
7. Changed: Made car radio button tooltips show the default delay instead of much quicker.
8. Changed: Added *.xmltv as a possible file extension (in addition to .xml) when selecting an xmltv file for TV setup.
1. Fixed: bad dependencies in the Debian control file.
1. Changed: When in Display or Cover View, hide player bar menu items that use Standard View and disable Spotlight launch from press-and-hold.
2. Changed: Updated Greek translation (thanks Panagiotis).
3. Changed: Updated the Catalan language (thanks Josep).
4. Fixed: Selecting all on right-click would incorrectly fire in thumbnail lists.
5. Changed: When restoring out of Media Server mode, the same views are used instead of creating the startup views.
6. Fixed: Moving the mouse over list control items with text links would not always update the mouse over states nicely.
7. Changed: Tuned expansion on image column right-click to use the grouping of the list instead of simply album grouping.
8. Changed: Made list grouping on right-click of the album thumbnail only engage when a single file is selected.
9. Fixed: Thumbnails were not being included in auto library backups.
11. Changed: Right-clicking in the album thumbnail column will select all the album files before showing the menu.
12. Fixed: The Spotlight button could show in views without files.
13. NEW: Added MCC_CLEAR_REMAINING_ZONE_SPECIFIC (10071) to clear the remaining tracks from a playlist.
14. NEW: When removing tags from an MP3, APEv2 tags are removed if they are found.
15. Changed: Updated German translation file (thanks Bytestar).
16. Changed: Updated to Monkey's Audio 10.10. Handles systems with AVX512 support, but disabled by the OS.
17. Changed: Simplified the filenames of TV recordings if the shows' don't have separate episode names that are different from the series names.
18. Fixed: Playing a SDR video in JRVR with the screen in HDR mode could result in unexpected output if HDR to HDR tone mapping was enabled.
19. Changed: Ran all the translations through the tool to update to the latest strings from the source code.
20. Fixed: Media Center could crash when media files were deleted while Black Bar detection was running on them.
21. Changed: Merged the last backup paths used for library backups (manual and the setting) into one shared setting.
22. NEW: Support for HDR to HDR tone mapping in JRVR.
23. NEW: Advanced geometry correction settings for projectors in JRVR.
24. NEW: HDR10+ dynamic tone mapping in JRVR.
25. NEW: Image sharpening post-processing for JRVR.
26. Changed: Made middle-click on the unused tabs area roll list styles.
27. Changed: When thumbnails are set to be included in library backups, they will also be included in automatic backups.
28. Fixed: When picking extra channels so the output channel count was over eight JRSS channel mixing would not engage properly.
29. NEW: Re-designed the JRVR HDR tone mapping when converting HDR to SDR, for higher quality and better detail retention.
30. NEW: JRVR uses a new dynamic tone mapping algorithm using a re-designed histogram peak detection, enabled by default in the "Quality" preset.
31. Fixed: Improved shader caching in JRVR to reduce stuttering when playing Dolby Vision content.
32. Fixed: Aspect Ratio overrides would not apply properly when starting a video.
<---Back to version table