Release Notes MC29 Linux
1. Changed: Slovak translation updated (thanks Peter Lukac).
2. Changed: Spotlight: display year in Movie Credits and ignore credits without a year.
3. Changed: Spotlight: display birth and death dates for actor/director.
4. Changed: Spotlight: increase height of horizontal scroll bars and make some caption text bold.
5. Fixed: Spotlight: Similar Artists are retrieved in English.
6. Fixed: Allow seeking to the end byte of a buffered internet file. The previous behavior broke opus playback over media network (and probably others).
7. Changed: Rebuilding the thumbnail on a library server client will make a rebuild request to the server so it won't just return the same cached thumbnail (testing appreciated).
8. Changed: Quick Find Cover Art on a client issues the request to the server.
9. Changed: When scrollable edit controls are inside scrollable windows (like Manage Library Fields) the mouse wheel will only operate the inner most window.
10. Changed: The Tag window has the same scroll behavior where the mouse wheel will run something like Tag Dump if it's over that instead of the outer container.
11. Changed: Spotlight shows "recommended" movies instead of "similar".
12. Changed: Updated German translation file (thanks Bytestar).
13. Fixed: MC could hang if there have been consecutive errors on a TV tuner in a short period of time.
14. Fixed: Duplicate set of DMS channels were created if manual channel setup was run after MC already created the DMS channels automatically (for HDHomeRun devices).
15. NEW: Spotlight for Actors/Directors added and displayed when you click on a cast member in movie Spotlight.
1. Changed: Put the 8x resample done during DSD to PCM conversion in Audio Path.
2. NEW: Spotlight for movies added (preliminary).
3. NEW: TV tuner status can be displayed in Theater View.
4. Changed: When multiple artists are specified as a list, Spotlight just matches the first artist.
5. Fixed: Media Center could crash when starting JRVR with an empty shader cache file.
6. NEW: Added "Remove newlines" to the Clean File Properties tool.
7. Changed: DSD to PCM sample rates are reported at their original sample rate instead of one eighth in Audio Path.
8. Changed: "Play previous channel" is changed to "Play last played TV channel".
9. NEW: Added a few new commands to the list of MC commands in remote control setup.
10. Changed: Cover art from the show command will be extracted to the temporary folder and stay until MC is restarted (previously we were deleting a temporary file before it could be shown).
11. NEW: Added MCC_PLAY_SELECTED (10069) to play the selected files (0: play replace, 1: append, 2: play next).
12. NEW: "Screen Grab to File" and "Use Screen Grab for Thumbnail" are supported with JRVR.
13. Changed: Updated German translation file (thanks Bytestar).
14. Changed: Ran all the translations through the tool to update to the latest strings from the source code.
15. NEW: Sat>IP devices can now be supported on non-Window platforms as Sat>IP devices, instead of being supported as IPTV devices.
16. Fixed: Restored expression fix for "calculated unless filled" type fields.
17. Changed: When playing 2 channel content with no upmixing as 5.1, it will no longer be reported as 2.1 in Audio Path.
18. Changed: Re-designed the JRVR General and Output options pages to be more user friendly.
19. Changed: Adjusted the default for HDR to SDR conversion brightness.
20. NEW: Added button to Theater View file roller to display Spotlight (view only, not interactive).
21. Fixed: Reverted recent expression changes due to issues with correct evaluation.
22. Changed: More tuning to the Manage Library Fields dialog.
23. Changed: Tweaked Spotlight Wikipedia About matching.
24. Changed: Made the Manage Library Fields dialog have a scrollbar when the size is made too small.
25. Changed: Updated the Catalan language (thanks Josep!).
26. Fixed: Expression fields could still be a problem evaluating.
27. Changed: Expanded the new Manage Library Fields rule to include hidden fields.
28. Fixed: Expression fields that were calculated unless filled could fail to evaluate properly in some cases.
29. NEW: Added a new filter to Manage Library Fields: Show only user fields.
30. Changed: The Manage Library Fields dialog remembers the last edited field and picks it again when you open.
31. Changed: Updated Chinese (simplified) language file (thanks YanJun Sun).
32. NEW: Long press on Spotlight button opens new tab.
33. NEW: Added button to Spotlight (top right corner) that lets you Google the current track in Playing Now or show Spotlight for the current artist.
34. Fixed: For Spotlight Wikipedia About added simple keyword checks to avoid non-music-related results.
35. Changed: Made the default audio conversion mode for Library Server "No Conversion".
36. NEW: Added a list of file types to convert for the convert if necessary library server client mode.
36. Changed: Simplified the list of encoders available for Library Server Client conversions.
37. Fixed: Spotlight Wikipedia link uses selected Wikipedia language.
1. Changed: Made the default audio conversion mode for Library Server "No Conversion".
2. NEW: Added a list of file types to convert for the convert if necessary library server client mode.
3. Changed: Simplified the list of encoders available for Library Server Client conversions.
4. Changed: Updated Chinese (simplified) language file (thanks YanJun Sun).
5. Fixed: Improved the scaling of tree items to no longer be drawn with excessive padding on higher scale values.
6. Fixed: TV would crash when trying to scan for OTA EPG, in builds 39 and 40.
7. NEW: Spotlight data is now cached. Added "Refresh" link to update the artist or clear the cache for all artists.
8. Changed: Spotlight does not display albums without a year.
9. Fixed: The transparent playback controls in display view should no longer take focus from the playback window.
10. Changed: Ran all the translations through the tool to update to the latest strings from the source code.
11. Faster: Handheld operations are faster (we were setting in a way that caused relational files to be set, but it was unnecessary).
12. Changed: Removed the waveform and album play fields from handhelds so they're no longer sent.
13. Changed: Spotlight button has multiple icons for hover and press.
14. Changed: Spotlight page generated in background thread.
15. Changed: Spotlight Albums sorted by year.
16. Changed: JRVR Output settings are now per-display, existing settings have been migrated.
17. NEW: JRVR support for color calibration using ICC/ICM profiles and 3D Cube LUTs (.cube).
18. Changed: Tweaked JRVR SuperRes Enhancement for a better balance of sharpness and ringing.
19. Changed: Convolution file matching finds files with 3528 for 352,800 Hz and 1764 for 176,400 Hz.
20. Changed: The channel count for stereo files for convolution naming can be "2.0" or simply "2" now ("2" is the addition).
21. Fixed: The new icon coloring option for toolbars wouldn't save between runs.
22. Changed: Updated the Catalan language (thanks Josep!).
23. NEW: Added Debanding to JRVR under the new Processing options tab.
24. Fixed: A couple tree tooltips didn't get translated.
25. Changed: Changed how some errors are handled in TV engine.
26. Fixed: Default language determination did not include Catalan.
27. Fixed: In Standard Television View, the "Record" button was made available (though not operational) in error when the view was showing "TV Logs" or "Show status".
28. Changed: In Standard Television View, the "Record" button will not be displayed in "To be recorded" view unless a single channels is selected
29. Fixed: Theater View startup mode works now on all desktops (no white screen).
30. Fixed: Theater View mode window stacking shouldn't ever be lost.
1. Changed: Focus will be given to the video player more consistently when starting video playback.
2. NEW: Added an option to toggle the Click to Pause behavior in video playback (Video -> Advanced).
3. Changed: Tuned the relational search changes made a few builds back for performance.
4. NEW: If the FPS tag has not been set on a TV channel, a default value (29.97 or 25 for ATSC or DVB respectively) will be used for the purpose of automatically choosing a display setting.
5. Fixed: Startup in Theater View mode wasn't working properly.
6. Changed (internal change): Changed the way default language is determined.
7. Changed: Updated the Catalan language (thanks Josep!).
8. Changed: When starting IPTV channels with Sat>IP streams (RTSP URL), the unnecessary step of determining file type is skipped, to speed up the start up.
9. Changed: MCWS function Television/GetGuidePrograms will return information in a single xml formatted string, instead of multiple strings one for each program.
10. Changed: RTSP based IPTV will try to buffer more data before attempting to play.
11. Changed: Artist Spotlight matches library albums when multiple artists are listed.
12. Changed: Increased max amount of time for JRiver video player to probe for audio/video formats in non-DirectShow-based TV playback.
13. Changed: Added optional parameters "Tags", "ExecCom", and "ComArgs" to Television/SetRecording MCWS function.
14. NEW: Spotlight: Add clickable play icon for matching albums in your library.
15. NEW: Spotlight: Clicking on Similar Artist opens Spotlight for that artist.
16. NEW: Spotlight: Clicking on album goes to Google search for that album.
17. Changed: Spotlight button now is a simple yellow circle (it is skinnable).
18. NEW: Made the toolbar icon style customizable between dimming the icons and leaving them full color.
19. Fixed: The player window could fail to show an image for a playing file if the thumbnail had not been built yet.
20. NEW: Added the advanced option to not show the sequence column in Playing Now.
21. Changed: When showing or hiding the sequence column, the option is set automatically.
22. Changed: When you look at columns to show, the sequence column will be available.
23. Changed: Turned off checking file existence in a list by default (optional and can be turned on).
24. Changed: The default statusbar text no longer checks for a file existence. This should prevent MC from accessing the file system until it plays.
25. Fixed: Exiting theater view mode goes doesn't stick into fullscreen mode.
26. Fixed: OSD information window behaves better (video playback).
27. Changed: Finding a window is more efficient (internal change).
28. Changed: Changed how some errors are handled in TV engine.
29. Fixed: Removed some unnecessary package dependencies.
30. Fixed: Spotlight issues with albums and related artists.
1. Fixed: Re-attaching a detached display view window might not go back to where it came from.
2. NEW: We get the actual video refresh rate for the monitor in use.
3. Fixed: Spotlight button would be clipped when there is overflow in web links.
4. NEW: Ctrl+click of Spotlight button opens in new tab.
5. NEW: Added support for nine and ten stage biquads (testing appreciated).
6. Fixed: Hitting F11 to get to Theater View would go to Cover Art View if an inactive tab had a webpage up.
7. Fixed: Hitting F11 while Theater View was showing for the initial time would toggle to a white screen.
8. Changed: Album based relational fields simply use the album value for images and videos instead of also looking at the artist.
1. Changed: Add Albums and Similar Artists thumbnail lists to Spotlight page.
2. NEW: MCWS function Television/CancelRecording to cancel TV recordings.
3. Fixed: Loading DSP presets could crash (the threading was using a background thread to load the plugin, but now it has been moved to the main thread).
4. Changed: Convolution adds choices to the drop-list as they are entered instead of only after re-opening DSP Studio.
5. Changed: Use different icon for Spotlight button.
6. Fixed: With the platform file set to a different platform, import could duplicate the import over and over as it changed the slashes.
7. NEW: The convolution dialog will list the last 10 selected filters in a combobox for the path (instead of simply being an edit).
8. Changed: Updated German translation file (thanks Bytestar).
9. Changed: Clicking on the image in the player with control pressed will open Playing Now in a new tab.
10. Changed: Made the program faster to show lists of thumbnails.
11. Fixed: Seeking with JRVR would blank out the frame before the new frame was available, for a visible blinking effect.
12. Changed: The JRVR OSD shows the Media Center version for easy identification.
13. Changed: Made the XML parser faster to get numbers (used in iTunes playlist import, etc.).
14. Changed: Use separate button to show Spotlight Page (no longer uses web links).
15. Changed: Updated Greek translation (thanks Panagiotis).
16. NEW: Added the Catalan language (thanks Josep!).
17. Changed: When the system language is Czech (LANG_CZECH) that will be selected as the default translation.
18. Changed: Added several more system languages to the default translation list.
19. NEW: MCWS function SetRecording to set up TV recordings.
20. NEW: MCWS function Television/CancelRecording to cancel TV recordings.
21. Fixed: Cursor will hide as expected now in Theater View.
1. NEW: Television/GetGuidePrograms MCWS function.
2. Changed: Added more file associations that can be opened in MC from the finder.
3. Changed: Updated Czech translation (thanks Jan Boháč!).
4. Fixed: Do not reset the custom web links and always add Spotlight as the first.
5. NEW: Add Albums and Similar Artists links on the Spotlight Page.
6. NEW: Add Spotlight Page preview accessed by Spotlight link at top of Playing Now.
7. Fixed: Some video analyzer files were left in Temp folder undeleted.
8. NEW: Made clicking on the image in the player window jump to Playing Now.
9. Changed: Renaming a tree item will update saved favorites.
10. Changed: Moving a playlist will update saved favorites using that playlist.
11. Changed: Deleting a playlist or other view will delete any saved favorites.
12. Changed: When TV recording on an HLS IPTV channel is done, a flag is saved as a property in the "Playback Info" field, to indicate that it has an index sidecar, so that the recording will be handled properly at playback time.
13. NEW: TV recordings on HLS IPTV channels can now be played on Library Server clients.
14. Fixed: Some video analyzer files were left in Temp folder undeleted.
15. Changed: The program is better about deleting temporary image files retrieved during DLNA serving, MCWS serving, etc.
16. Fixed: Scaling the UI would not draw icons correctly in all cases (for example at 110% the Options icons would overlap the borders).
17. Changed: The Verge news reading works better with their updates.
18. Fixed: The "Date Tagged" field could incorrectly get set when changing the new Last Played Album date.
19. Fixed: The "Date Tagged" field could incorrectly get set when changing the skip count field.
20. Changed: Moved setting the date tagged field to the actual tagging (please report any issues).
21. Changed: Make linux weblinks open in the internal browser window like on the other platforms.
22. Changed: Internal changes to the program exit.
23. Fixed: Blank dialog box could appear on first run of new major version of MC.
24. Fixed: Mixed interlaced and progressive content could show a few frames out of order at the cross-over with JRVR.
25. NEW: Added a "Sync Changes With Library Server" toolbar button.
26. Changed: Removed Jokes4All.net from Theater View because it went away.
27. Changed: Added a different joke of the day site to Theater View.
28. Changed: If you pick Group By > Album again for a list, it will use new logic that uses the album artist (auto) when possible.
29. Changed: Updated the "New / Improved This Version" to point to v29.
30. NEW: "Audio Programs" context menu is now available for IPTV and DMS channels.
31. Fixed: Saved default audio program selection on an IPTV or DMS channel was not applied when the channel playback was started.
32. Changed: When outputting 2.1, Audio Path will report that instead of the container format 5.1.
1. NEW: Added a "Maximum subtitle resolution" option to the video settings.
2. Changed: When renaming/moving/copying/deleting indexed HLS IPTV recordings, the index files are also renamed/moved/copied/deleted.
3. NEW: An option in "Rename, Move, & Copy files..." to copy sidecar files (tag sidecar, subtitle sidecar etc.) when the mode of operation is "Copy" or "Copy and update database location to point to the new location."
4. Fixed: IPTV playback could fail due to lack of certain dependencies on a fresh installation of MC.
5. NEW: DSP presets can be set on TV channels, and will be honored when the channels are played.
6. NEW: Added Float and Float64 output formats.
7. NEW: An option in "Rename, Move, & Copy files..." to copy sidecar files (tag sidecar, subtitle sidecar etc.) when the mode of operation is "Copy" or "Copy and update database location to point to the new location."
8. Changed: Updated Norwegian translation (thanks Øistein Rian).
9. Changed: Parameters in the Parametric Equalizer dialog show up to five digits of precision instead of two.
10. Changed: Low and high pass filters have a default Q of 0.7071.
12. Changed: The sunrise and sunset times are not gotten again at startup if they were gotten in the last day.
13. Changed: Sunrise and sunset are reloaded from the server every 5 days instead of every day.
14. Changed: Updated to Monkey's Audio 7.50 which removes the 4 GB encode limit.
15. Changed: Made WAV files with -1 for the content length read the entire file for the length.
16. Fixed: Improved the consistency of text subtitle placement with JRVR.
17. Fixed: IPTV playback could fail due to lack of certain dependencies on a fresh installation of MC.
18. Changed: When the same DSP preset is used by two files in a row, it is only loaded once (instead of for each file).
19. Changed: IPTV recordings with a sidecar index file will always be played in JRiver Video Player.
20. NEW: Added a "Maximum subtitle resolution" option to the video settings.
21. Fixed: Seven and eight stage biquads were not functioning properly.
22. Changed: Made WASAPI report itself as WASAPI Exclusive when playing as exclusive in Audio Path.
23. Changed: When renaming/moving/copying/deleting indexed HLS IPTV recordings, the index files are also renamed/moved/copied/deleted.
1. NEW: JRVR support for Dolby Vision playback.
2. Changed: Subtitles in JRVR are now handled in small rectangles, instead of the full frame, for faster rendering.
3. Changed: Bitmap subtitles in JRVR will now be rendered at their original resolution and resized by JRVR (faster!).
4. Changed: Text subtitles with JRVR will more consistently make use of black bars to display, if present.
5. Fixed: The MCC_PLAYBACK_ENGINE_SET_AUDIO_STREAM command for video playback did not work properly.
6. NEW: Added missing stream and subtitle control options to the video player (in the OSD, Menu, and MCC).
7. NEW: Support for playback of rotated videos in JRVR.
8. Changed: Improved handling of timestamp discontinuity in IPTV (HLS) playback. Now playback and seeking both work seamlessly at discontinuity.
9. NEW: Re-designed ASS/SSA subtitle renderer for JRVR for significant performance improvements.
10. NEW: Ctrl-R will reset the JRVR performance metrics.
11. NEW: TV recordings of HLS IPTV channels will have a sidecar index file saved, to make playback of such files smoother, in particular when discontinuities are involved. In JR Video Player only (not in DirectShow engine).
12. Changed: Updated libplacebo in JRVR for improved tonemapping, dithering, and various performance, stability and compatibility fixes.
13. Changed: Moved and reworded the "Gamut Handling" JRVR setting to better reflect that it is going to be used for SDR as well, as well as adding a new default setting.
14. Changed: Introduced a set of Trade Quality for Performance options in JRVR to limit the bitdepth of frame buffers and disable the use of frame buffers entirely for very low end systems (not recommended otherwise).
1. Changed: Updated Chinese (simplified) language file. Thanks YanJun Sun!
2. Fixed: "Automatically clean up time-shifting folders daily" option did not do anything on Linux.
3. Changed: Reduced chance of hanging when IPTV servers do not have data to stream.
4. Changed: Improved start up speed of IPTV channels.
5. Changed: Reduced the frequency of needing to pause video for buffering when playing IPTV.
6. Fixed: TV setting "Specify a second location for recording or time-shifting files" might not accept user's selection of second location, even if it was on a separate hard disk.
7. Fixed: A bug in the cURL library was preventing some URL's from being accessed. Noticed first in Lyrics retrieval.
8. NEW: The mode for Get Cover Art is saved between each run and use.
9. Fixed: JTV recordings could be imported with wrong video dimensions (1920x1080 HD video tagged as 1280x720) and/or wrong frame rate (29.97 video was tagged as 59.94).
10. NEW: Added the latency of the audio converter and from input until data is heard to the Audio Path.
11. Changed: If the XMLTV file does not contain either <new> or <previously-shown> tag to indicate a show's "re-run" status, it will be determined by comparing the <date> tag with the program start date.
12. Changed: Enabled "Recording Rules" editing in Theater View TV guide on Linux.
13. NEW: Enabled Ctrl-J JRVR functionality in TV engine.
14. Fixed: IPTV channels that stream VOD (video on demand) could hang if a seek is performed after all data have been downloaded.
15. Fixed: Seeking of an IPTV playback could cause video to stutter for a few seconds.
16. Fixed: Playing multiple DSP profiles would restore the previous profile instead of original.
17. Changed: Pasting a string will no longer trim the trailing spaces.
18. Changed: Manage Library Fields would be sized incorrectly when opening to a large expression.
19. NEW: When a DSP profile is loaded for a file, the current configuration is saved before loading and restored when the next track starts.
20. Fixed: Editing Theater View file info panel with a big expression selected first would invalidate the sizing.
21. Changed: Added several more 5.1 inside channel layouts to the mixer (inside 10, 12, 14, 16 channel container).
22. Fixed: Added some missing items to the window position placement reset.
23. Changed: Revamped the Tooltips for expression functions on Expression editor, to make them more user-friendly and translation-friendly.
24. Changed: The code to not translate shortcuts in web views will not consider a web view active unless it has the focus.
25. Changed: Adjusted the Q for the low and high pass filters to be multiplied by the square root of 2 (to make MC more in line with other tools).
26. Changed: The subwoofer limiter is lossless when it's not limiting the signal (previously it could adjust the volume).
27. Changed: If files have a list of artists, the first artist is used to decide if that album is a mix and the album artist (auto) value.
28. Changed: Improved IPTV bytes-per-second estimate, and thus the time-stamp and duration estimate, especially in poor network condition.
29. Fixed: The AllPass filter was not working properly.
30. Changed: Updated Czech translation (thanks Jan Boháč!).
1. Changed: Updated Chinese (simplified) language file (thanks YanJun Sun).
2. Changed: The tree no longer expands and collapses on space bar (so space bar will play / pause instead).
3. Fixed: The MCWS call Playback/Playlist would not work with remote zones.
4. Changed: Internal changes how JRVR handles subtitles.
5. Fixed: JRVR is more lenient when dealing with files with invalid HDR metadata.
1. Fixed: Mini view would allow resize vertically, but should not have.
3. NEW: Added a "Reload" button to the Convolution DSP.
5. Changed: DSP Studio no longer allows an empty name to be used for a preset name.
6. Changed: High and low shelf filters now use "Q" instead of "S".
7. Changed: Reduced chance of hanging when IPTV servers do not have data to stream.
8. Changed: Improved start up speed of IPTV channels.
9. Changed: Reduced the frequency of needing to pause video for buffering when playing IPTV.
1. NEW: Added an all pass filter to Parametric Equalizer (feedback appreciated).
2. Fixed: A couple dialogs could be sized incorrectly (debug logging, audio calibration, etc.).
3. NEW: Category-specific TV recording paddings (start recording early by x minutes, and stop recording late by x minutes).
4. NEW: Middle click on the stop button fires a "Stop After Current File".
1. NEW: Skins can specify a maximized top and bottom border for the main frame (TopBorderMaximized / BottomBorderMaximized).
1. Fixed: JTV recordings were erroneously deleted when "Clean up time-shifting folders..." is run, either manually or automatically.
1. Changed: Updated Greek translation (thanks Panagiotis).
2. NEW: Skins can specify Frame\Edit\Colors\Faded to specify the fade color of things like the instructions on a search box (it defaults to blending the text and background).
3. Changed: The disabled list text color is used out of the skin in more places (was building the color sometimes instead of checking the skin) (List\Colors\DisabledText).
4. Changed: Disabled JRVR Peak Detection by default due to its performance cost and potential for brightness shifts, and moved the option into the Advanced section.
5. Fixed: Loading and saving DSP presets did not contain the "Headphones" DSP plugin.
6. Changed: On a fresh upgrade to MC29, the library server settings from MC28 back to MC20 are transferred to MC29 and are turned off in the older version (so the server will start in MC29 only after install).
7. Changed: Updated German translation file (thanks Bytestar).
1. Changed: If the XMLTV file does not contain either <new> or <previously-shown> tag to indicate a show's "re-run" status, it will be determined by comparing the <date> tag with the program start date.
3. Changed: Made tile list styles adapt to the aspect ratio of the images instead of hard-coding based on the media type.
4. Changed: Thumbnails are a little better centered in the selection box.
5. Fixed: In some cases, zones could have the same GUID and it would make zone linking (and possibly other zone actions) impossible.
6. Changed: Made the Tempo & Pitch DSP able to support up to 32 channels (was capped at 16).
7. Changed: Added SRT subtitles to the list of data types the program understands.
8. Changed: When MC could not load SiliconDust EPG data due to not having an Authorization Code (most likely caused by not having enough time to discover HDHomeRun devices), retry will be attempted 3 minutes later instead of the usual 30 - 60 minutes later, and up to 3 retries will be allowed, instead of just one.
9. Changed: Ran all the translations through the tool to update to the latest strings from the source code.
10. NEW: Enabled Ctrl-J JRVR functionality in TV engine and non-DirectShow JR Video Player (on Windows, Mac, and Linux).
11. Changed: Re-designed JRVR HDR tone mapping and related options.
12. NEW: JRVR now caches shaders between runs, for faster subsequent startups.
13. Fixed: Improved YouTube Trailer playback to play more fluidly.