Windows System Requirements
Media Center has the following general system requirements under Windows.
Hardware Requirements (Minimum)
- Intel or AMD x86 Compatible CPU with SSE2
- 256MB RAM
- 300MB free hard drive space for installation (plus space for digital media)
- Sound device with a working WDM or ASIO driver
- DirectX-capable Graphics Card (GPU)
- Internet connection (recommended).
- Windows 7 and newer
- Please Note: Server editions of Windows are not officially supported.
- Microsoft Windows Media Player
- RealPlayer, QuickTime, and Microsoft DirectX may be required to play certain filetypes.
- BluRay Playback requires a non-encrypted source disc, or realtime decryption software.
Windows Server Core and OS Enhancers
JRiver does not support running Media Center on Windows Server, especially when in Core Mode, or with any kind of third-party OS "enhancer" utilities. If you are doing either of these things, then we will be unable to assist you with any issues you encounter.
- TV Tuner card (for TV playback, recording etc.)
- Soundcard with multiple outputs (for multi-zone playback)
- CD Writer installed and functional for creating CDs
- DVD or BluRay drive for optical video playback
- Printer for printing jewel cases and CD labels
Theater View and Video playback both require a more powerful, modern PC. While Video playback using Red October Standard should support most current hardware common now, some low-end netbooks and tablet computers may struggle with difficult, high data-rate sources. However, Red October HQ is designed for high end computers, and has more advanced requirements. Our strong recommendation is to download the free trial and test it on your own PC before making any purchasing decisions.
- Intel Core i5 (Quad-Core) or better
- Windows 7/8.1 (32 or 64 bit) or newer
- 4GB of RAM
- AMD Radeon HD 6770, Nvidia GTX 550, or better GPU
- Solid state (SSD) boot drive for installation and Library files.
- Theater View quality settings can be modified via: Options > General > Video Card