The Command Line
Media Center can be controlled by command line parameters. Execute parameters will start Media Center if it is not already started. Control parameters are ignored if Media Center is not currently running.
If using Media Jukebox, the command to use is mjextman.exe, for Media Center, MC11.exe or MC12.exe. This document uses MC12.exe
Executing one of the following parameters starts Media Center if it's not running.
Playback Execute Parameters
- MC12.exe [item1|item2|...] - If playback is currently stopped, Playing Now is replaced with the item(s) and playback starts, otherwise the item(s) are appended to Playing Now and playback jumps to the first specified item.
- MC12.exe /Play [item1|item2|...] - If playback is currently stopped, Playing Now is replaced with the item(s) and playback starts, otherwise the item(s) are appended to Playing Now and playback jumps to the first specified item.
- MC12.exe /Append [item1|item2|...] - Appends item(s) to Playing Now without changing the current play state.
- MC12.exe /PlayReplace [item1|item2|...] - Playing Now is replaced with the item(s) and playback starts.
Each item can be one of the following:
- A filename - C:\song1.mp3
- A URL - http:\\www.somewebsite.com\station.pls
- A location within the Organization Tree - TREEPATH=Playlists\Playlist1
- A device under CD & DVD and Handhelds - DEVICE=G:
Note: The TREEPATH=Location\Item specification is case-sensitive for Location and Item and the hierarchy separator is \.
Note: For Media Center 10 or greater, the Playback execute parameters can be issued to a specific Zone by adding Zone=x as one of the items in the pipe delimited list. e.g. "MC12.exe /Append C:\1.mp3|C:\2.mp3|Zone=3".
Media Core Commands
These parameters apply to Media Center only.
MC12.exe /MCC [Command],[Param] sends the desired command to Media Center ([Param] is optional, and will default to 0)
See the Media Core Command list here.
Other Execute Parameters
MC12.exe /Import [filename] imports specified file into MC library and launches Media Center.
MC12.exe /Connect m01p://[ip address or host name] establishes connection to a remote Media Server
MC12.exe /SilentImport [filename] imports specified file into MC library but does not launch Media Center.
MC12.exe /Clear [mode] clears Playing Now playlist. If mode is empty, all items will be removed. If mode is DontRemoveCurrent, currently playing file will not be removed.
MC12.exe /Mode [modename] if the app is not running the call starts MC in the specified mode, if it's already running the call switches Media Center to the specified mode. List of Mode names: Megame, Minime, Fullscreen, Theater, Windowed. If modename is empty MJ will start in user defined mode.
MC12.exe /Start starts Media Center or brings it to top.
MC12.exe /Close closes Media Center
MC12.exe /Power starts Media Center if it's not running, or closes it if it is.
Command parameters control the functionality of an already running Media Center. If MC is not running, the following commands will be ignored.
MC12.exe /Command Play starts playback of the selected track(s).
MC12.exe /Command Pause toggles between play and pause states.
MC12.exe /Command Stop stops playback.
MC12.exe /Command Next skips to the next track.
MC12.exe /Command Previous jumps to previous track.
MC12.exe /Command FastForward jumps 5 seconds forward.
MC12.exe /Command Rewind jumps 5 seconds back.
MC12.exe /Command Mute mutes the sound.
MC12.exe /Command VolumeUp [Value] increases sound by Value. Default is 5%
MC12.exe /Command VolumeDown [Value] decreases sound by Value. Default by 5%
MC12.exe /Command VolumeSet [Value] sets main volume. If value is not specified 50% is used.
MC12.exe /Command ToggleShuffle toggles shuffle mode
MC12.exe /Command ToggleContinuous toggles continuous mode