MC offers many ways to control your media.
Native support for remotes, including
Media Center Remote
- Media Center Remote, shown below, is available from J. River.
- Gizmo, shown below, is an Android application that controls MC.
- WebGizmo is a browser based remote solution that can control MC from any device with a browser. This includes iPad, iPhone, and Touch. It looks and works like Gizmo for Android.
- Tremote is MC itself, running as a remote for another copy of MC using the second generation web server in MC.
- Remote Server is the original, very basic web server built into MC (now obsolete).
- Remote Relay can control other devices by using IR blasters.
Media Center remotes
MC13 introduced support for Windows Media Center Edition (MCE) remotes. These usually have a Green Button that can start Media Center (either JRiver or Microsoft). Please see this thread for more information.
MC14 improved support for Media Center Remotes and introduced support for HID devices to be used as remotes. These include keyboards and some MCE remotes. Please see instructions for customization with MC14.061 or above.
The Media Center Remote
JRiver offers the Media Center Remote -- an MCE Remote, an IR transceiver, and an IR emitter in a convenient package of hardware. MC 14.0 or above is required.
Media Center can use this hardware to send IR signals to control other devices. This can be used to turn an amplifier or set top box on or off, for example, or to change the amp's volume.
You can also add a generic IR receiver to your PC, and control Media Center with any remote.
- You need to have an Infrared receiver like those for WMC remotes or the *USBUIRT, UIRT2, RedRat, or IRMan, which will connect to your PC with a serial or USB cable.
- MC has a setup screen in Tools> Options> Remote Control.
- Media Center supports the Windows MC Remote Control and Keyboad natively
There are a number of remote solutions for iPad and iPhone on our Third Party board.
These programs take advantage of MC interfaces for developers. More info can be found on the DevZone page.