Media Center can copy the files from the VIDEO_TS directory of an unencrypted Blu-ray disc so they can be played from a hard disk. You can rip Blu-Ray using Action Window > Rip Disc inside the program. If you have more than one optical drive, you can rip multiple discs at the same time.
Once you press "Rip":
- MC will give the the opportunity to change the Title as the one automatically read from BD may not be that user friendly, then
- MC will commence copying the BD Folder Structure from the BD to your HDD
- While the BD is being copied (it can take up to an hour as most discs are around 40GB), the Get Movie & TV Info dialog will appear and allow you to search using the Title on line databases for Movie Info and cover art. If it doesn't find the "correct" movie, just modify this title in the search box. Once you have selected the best option press "Use This Data" and the MC Database will be populated.
By default, BDs will be imported with a Media Subtype set to "Movie". If you have a TV Series, or Music Video disc you will want to change this so that it appears in the correct view in MC. You may also want to use the Particles Feature to be able to see, play, and tag each Episode or Music Track as a separate entry in the data base.
- This feature has been available since MC 16.0.171.
- Blu-ray Disc Ripping Announcement Thread