Media Center has industry leading support for high-end DACs (Digital to Analog Converters).
For the best quality playback with high-end DACs, use these recommended settings:
Options > Playback > Audio > Output Mode
- Media Center Windows
- You will need to select the best audio output mode for your device in Options > Audio.
- With Media Center Windows version 15 and above, use "WASAPI - Event Style".
- With older versions of Media Center Windows, use "WASAPI".
- Note that some DACs listed below offer native ASIO drivers that may be better than WASAPI.
- Media Center Mac
- Use "Core Audio".
Options > Playback > Audio > Output mode settings...
Inside "Output mode settings..." for WASAPI, use the following settings:
Open device for exclusive access: Checked
Present 24-bit data in a 32-bit package: Unchecked
Buffering: 100ms (assuming WASAPI - Event Style). If you hear audio hiccups or drop-outs, increase this size.
DSP Studio > Output Format
You will also need to choose the output format using DSP Studio. These settings are recommended:
Bitdepth: 24-bit (most DACS prefer and even require 24-bit input)
Channels: Source number of channels
Sample rate: Depends (with an outboard DAC, try "Source sample rate")
Known to Work With
- Audio Research DAC8. Install Audio Research's DAC8 drivers (ASIO) on the PC, and select ASIO in MC15, then select the DAC8.
- Proton USB DAC from Wavelength
- Ayre QB-9 DAC
- DACmagic on Interact.
- PS Audio PWD
- Arcam RDAC
- M2Tech Hiface (May require an older driver.
- HRT Music Streamer II
- e18 DAC from exasound.
Related topic: Audiophile Info
Related topic: Audio Output Modes